Hey! It's Saturday! Come join us in the myApertureInnovations Steam Group Chat!

[BLOG]: myApertureInnovations First Official Mapping Contest

Important Site or Portal-related News

[BLOG]: myApertureInnovations First Official Mapping Contest

Postby p0rtalplayer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:17 am

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKaRDpS1A6A

Hello employees, Cave Johnson here. You all have permission to take a temporary break from your work to listen to this important company-wide announcement. That is, I gave permission for a mandatory break. Stop what you're doing or you're fired. Also, your pay stops until the break is over.

Every time I look at our little community here, I am reminded of the old site. Now, it wasn't big. Just a simple mapping site. A simple mapping site that produced great maps. These maps were the backbone of the activities on the site. Make 'em from scratch. Spare no expense. And never cut corners. Well, except for when making fancy custom aesthetics with rounded edges, obviously you cut them there. Point is, we had a pretty good thing going. Until, one day, the site up and died. Just like that. And I thought to myself, "Cave, that won't do at all." So I went and I built this site from scratch, with just a text editor and an FTP client. Inspiring stuff. Oh, and some other people helped too. Point is, we're almost done! Still some spit-shine left to put on, but I think it's high time we put ourselves back out there as a portal mapping community. So that's why we're having a contest to promote the site.

Allow me to introduce the first official mAI Mapping Contest! Community building event, with some advertising thrown in. The theme of the contest is Custom Content. A good map doesn't just have a difficult puzzle, it also makes itself look real pretty. Hold on... Greg tells me that the contest also allows audio content. Point is, make your map something special, so the judges will like it. That's right, you're being judged. Stand straighter.

All right, any questions? That was a rhetorical question, as this is a pre-recorded message. All right, get back to work. And get started on those maps!

You can view the contest details here.
p0rtalplayer
Ideal Gas

Re: [BLOG]: myApertureInnovations First Official Mapping Con

Postby ChickenMobile » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:06 pm

A $30 dollar game doesn't seem like enough incentive in order to spend weeks on creating a map for Portal 2 which involves hard work in creating custom sounds / textures / models / stuff.
Just sayin'.

I might, however, create a small something to pop in the contest.

P.S. Hi.
ChickenMobile
Intern

Postby Kopeke » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:47 pm

Nice video P0p and sweet music Van, I'm looking towards to another one when the contest is over to declare the winners.

PS: Hi ChickenMobile :D
Kopeke
Last minute mapper

Postby Sven » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:17 pm

ChickenMobile wrote:A $30 dollar game doesn't seem like enough incentive in order to spend weeks on creating a map for Portal 2 which involves hard work in creating custom sounds / textures / models / stuff.
Just sayin'.

Well pardon us for not being Valve sponsored and having a small budget related to our website's smallness. (8-))
Sven
Insane Rogue AI

Postby p0rtalplayer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:21 pm

ChickenMobile wrote:A $30 dollar game doesn't seem like enough incentive in order to spend weeks on creating a map for Portal 2 which involves hard work in creating custom sounds / textures / models / stuff.
Just sayin'.

I might, however, create a small something to pop in the contest.

P.S. Hi.

We have been looking into alternative prize options. Watch this space ;)
p0rtalplayer
Ideal Gas

Postby vanSulli » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:27 pm

The video on the front page is listed as having been removed by the user. Otherwise, a relatively clean beginning. :oops:
vanSulli
The Hobo King

???

Postby p0rtalplayer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:35 pm

vanSulli wrote:The video on the front page is listed as having been removed by the user. Otherwise, a relatively clean beginning. :oops:

Also forgot to set the contest server var to true last night when I put everything up. I really shouldn't have done it at 11 PM. Trying to roll with the punches, though, if anyone sees any other embarrassing oversights, do let me know and I'll try to get it fixed up ASAP.
p0rtalplayer
Ideal Gas

Postby t3x » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Also in this topic, the video doesn't load because of the '&feature=youtu.be' at the end.
Otherwise... cool. Gonna enter.
t3x
Test Subject

???

Postby p0rtalplayer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:01 pm

Good news guys! I emailed Mary and she's gonna ship over a signed poster that I can use for the first prize in the contest (this will be on top of the $30 steam item).

I will update the contest page with then new information once I receive it.
p0rtalplayer
Ideal Gas

Postby groxkiller585 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:37 am

Time to get to work! I think my entry's going to be in good ol' Portal, as I haven't mapped for it in eons and I miss it.
"NO. WE WILL PARENT THE POOR QUALITY MODEL TO SOMETHING, ATTACH A BUNCH OF SOUNDS TO IT, AND WE WILL CALL IT 'CLUCKY THE LOW-DEF CHICKEN.'" -Sven
groxkiller585
Minecraft Modder/Portal Mapper

Next

Return to News and Announcements